Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Customs and my VISA application

So my Temporary VISA needed to be renewed. After taking great pains to get all the paper work in order, I presented for my interview. I made one small error in the process and this was not looked upon kindly by the Border officers. the problem was resolved by using my receptive communication skills. I acknowledged the speaker by maintaining eye contact, kept my body turned to the speaker and gave verbal cues and nods to show engagement. I resisted the temptation to prematurely frame my response ( Didn't interrupt). Lastly, I checked for understanding by paraphrasing what I heard.
Communication is about mutual understanding, even with Border Patrol Officers and now I am happily presenting in New York today!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done! It is neat to see someone apply such skills in a real world situation. This is the kind of stuff that is stressed in grade school that you think you'll never use. Fun post to read.