Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Relish Your Physical Wellnes Goals

When the shorts and t-shirts come out in the summer, a lot of people suddenly realize that they want to get in shape. They look at themselves and say “man I really should get into shape” but in saying that, some of them expect results immediately.
How do you set up healthy goals that are achievable?
Well, one way is to:

Tailor Your Goals To Fit You (not the other guy racing a marathon- unless you want to be in one!)
For your goals to be meaningful, they should be tailored to your needs and personality. You could have the same larger goal-“I want to eat better” as someone else, but have slightly different smaller goals. Depending on where you’re at, eating better might mean less salt, more fiber, less eating on the run-or even eating more if you’re underweight. You may want to learn some new cooking methods or recipes, or research quick-but-healthy restaurants or shopping options-whichever best fits your lifestyle. Your goals might also be set within a tighter or broader time span.

When setting your goals, you need to be honest with yourself and introduce challenges while keeping the adjustments realistic. For example, the timeframe of a week is wise if you know you want to make significant lifestyle changes but aren’t sure what impact the changes will actually have. In a week, you can learn a lot about what works, what doesn’t and how to adjust the next set of goals accordingly. The next goal-setting session might cover a lengthier period given your new experiential sight. Experience will teach you how to further tailor your goals.

For more on Making goals Realistic and Building in Fun, check out Chapter 3 in my book The Healthy CEO!

1 comment:

Elite Health said...

Isn’t it natural for us to believe we are healthy and not suffering from any disease? I had a similar thought process until my physician asked me to get a heart scan done after he found that my basic cardiograms were not perfect. I discovered that there were calcium deposits in my coronary arteries and I was at a serious risk of a heart attack. It was only because of not having a regular exercise. It was then when I realized the importance of the exercise. And depression is really a feeling that no one would ever like to face. And its impact on my life seemed to come in this way. I was shocked and went ahead with the Cardiologist's suggestion of an advanced diagnostic scan. Though it’s always tough to undergo such experiences, I was not at any kind of discomfort at the Elitehealth.com advanced heart scan facility. I am not an expert in medical appliance and machines but could feel that the equipment was world-class and I was in safe hands. That feeling is really very important for me and that’s how it actually went on. The facilities for Full Body Scan were as good as they can get.